How to get a 5 Star Service Rating

Monica Or, columnist and Hospitality Consultant at Star Quality Hospitality Consultancy discusses why leaving dirty towels on the floor is never acceptable and why you need to check the mood of your cushions..

In order to match the excellent service ratings of the luxury hotels in London and across the world you need to have an insider’s view of what the inspectors are really looking for. I was fortunate enough to have this information shared with me at the UKHA Shared Knowledge Day by Jeff Wielgopolan, Senior Vice President, Learning and Development for Forbes Travel Guide.

Regardless of the style of hotel you run these tips will make you think of how you can improve your service. Of the 500 standards that are assessed by Forbes 75% of them focus on service, whilst the remaining 25% is all about the facilities. The service elements take in to account the experience as well as the quality and consistency of that service. All of this comes down to attention to detail.

I want to share with you just two of the metaphors Wielgopolan gave that explain consistency and quality service beautifully.

Imagine when you go in to a hotel room, it is clean and pristine and then you walk in to the bathroom and all the towels are neatly in place, but then you see one dirty towel on the floor – then that is obviously a big no no and that room would not be fit to be let to a guest. Similarly when an inspector stays at your hotel and every member of staff he meets is polite and courteous, but there is that one member of staff who is lacking in the standards, then that hotel is not going to pass the inspection. Why not? Because this shows a lack of consistency.

Another great tip to ensure your service standards are in place is to check the mood of your cushions. Having a plumped up cushion always looks inviting although sometimes they get tired and might be sagging a little, or may be they are feeling sad or are a little bit crushed. This can also be reflected in the mood of your staff. So other than actually plumping up your real cushions, also think about how to ensure your staff are showing themselves off to be in tip top condition too, so they are standing to attention and able to give the best service to your guests.

The other thing you need to think about is not just what we can learn from our guests, but also what our guests learn about us. This will impact on their impression of what service they can expect.

At the end of the day great service is when the guest is given the ability so they do not have to think and they do not have to ask for anything… because we have thought about it all for them, and put it in to action.

About Monica Or: Working with the owner/managers of independent hotels and restaurants, Monica assists her clients with their operations and service delivery. She is the Amazon Best Selling author of her three books: ‘Star Quality Hospitality – The Key to a Successful Hospitality Business’, ‘Star Quality Experience – The Hotelier’s Guide to Creating Memorable Guest Journeys’ and ‘Star Quality Talent – Inspiring Hospitality Careers’.
DISCUSS

Share Your View

Hotel Industry Magazine: http://www.hotel-industry.co.uk | Articles (RSS) | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions
© 2015, Jamieson Media, a UK Registered Partnership